Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...

Subject: Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 23:30:32 AKST

On Sunday 25 November 2001 11:07 pm, lee@afabco.com wrote:
> well, fwiw, I have had no luck cept bad with highpoint controllers and
> they're not highly thought of on the net, so I avoid them like the plague.
> I also tend to stay away from Abit boards (tho I understand talking mobos
> is like talking religion...<g>). The 'conflicting reports' is soooo
> familiar with abit/highpoint combos. And consistently conflicting reports
> is generally a Bad Sign on anything technical.
>
> That being said, I have a BP-6 that I finally just stuck a promise ata-100
> card into after 6 months of fighting with it. If I'd done that to begin
> with (like many on the net said) I'd have saved myself a -lot- of
> headaches.
>
> And that's the hint/tip I offer, blow off the highpoint and just go buy a
> promise card and use it.
>
> Now that I've expressed my opinion of Abit boards, I have this BP-6 I'm
> thinking of selling <g>.
>
> Lee

And definitely stay away from the so-called hardware IDE RAID controllers
unless the brand name is ARCO Dupli-Disk which is real hardware. The rest
are junk unless you are using windows where they serve the same purpose for
windows as linux software RAID does for linux. Check
http://www/linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

Civileme