Re: Win2k & Linux

Subject: Re: Win2k & Linux
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 10:57:34 AKST

On Monday 19 November 2001 09:48 am, Mike Tibor wrote:
> I thought he might get some more replies if his message went out on the
> main list. Can anyone give him a hand?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

With regard to win2k and linux mandrake or any other linux, it depends on the
filesystem.

If the filesystem is FAT32, then you scandisk and defrag, drop in the
Mandrake CD, boot, and it will scale back the windows partition to make room
for itself and install.

If the filesystem is NTFS, the story is different. At the time of 8.1
release, there wasn't even a way to read the win2k NTFS though we had reading
and experimental writing of WinNT NTFS. This also applies to the NTFS for
WinXP which is once again incompatible with previous windows NTFSes. In that
case, use of a commercial product like Partition Magic to reduce the size of
the windows partition is one way, reinstalling windows with FAT32 or with
NTFS on a partition that leaves 2-5G free for mandrake is another. Once
either of those is accomplished, once again, you drop in the install CD and
answer very few questions for a successful install.

Civileme