Re: DG/UX on m88k

Subject: Re: DG/UX on m88k
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 22:21:43 AKST

On Sunday 18 November 2001 09:03 pm, twistedhammer wrote:
> I recently adopted a Data General - Aviion 500 workstation.
> this has a single 40MHz Motorola 88110 processor and has a
> copy of DG/UX 5.2 (I think) on it, but didn't come with any
> installation media etc..
>
> I have been able to find suprisingly little info about this
> hardware and software, even on DG's website..
>
> Also, there appears to be no alternative than to run DG/UX
> on it, as neither Linux, FreeBSD, or NetBSD has any support
> for this hardware. And while OpenBSD has m88k support, it is
> only for the VME line of hardware..
>
> SO, my question is this: does anybody have any information
> on this platform, or software that would be useful? I figure
> this is the place to ask if anywhere is..
> Otherwise I'll probablly just reconifure this into a
> glorified Xterminal.. (I did manage to gain root access to
> the box..)
>
> TIA,
> James Gibson

I think XBasic was originally written for the 88100 RISC series. Check at
www.maxreason.com or at www.xbasic.org. Maybe an older copy is still
available.

BTW XBasic is to X as VB is to Windows but XBasic is much more powerful and
will also run on windows(the compiler is written in itself). I have rpms for
Mandrake, and the other versions can be found at sourceforge. And yes, you
can use XBasic for system programming... ragged arrays and signed and
unsigned fixed-point from 8 to 64 bits with a generous widget set and
Glade-like drag'n'drop

Civileme