RE: X graphics programming

Subject: RE: X graphics programming
From: Jan Zumwalt (jzumwalt@neatinfo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:27:06 AKST

The technically easiest way is to just write a "c" call to the xwindow
routines. The caveat in this is that the x routines are quick complicated
from a programmers point of view. Each call has 5-10 varibles that need to
be passed to it.

The easiest way from a programmers point of view is to use a wrapper such as
GTK or GDK - they do all the hard work for you. It would really be futile to
try to explain a "quick" line or point routine since it takes about 30-50
lines of code to establish a pane and canvas and you must understand what
needs to be done after that.

There are two books that I use as my bible.

"Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK" - New Riders

"Linux Programming" - Wrox

There are several beginner GTK web tutorials but they are very basic. I
don't have a web address for you but I think one that I really liked was on
the GTK developer site. It was quick, easy, and small bit sized pieces of
brain food.

Jan Zumwalt