Re: Windows XP

Subject: Re: Windows XP
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 06:20:51 AKDT

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, civileme wrote:
> Remember that as soon as you change three items of hardware, you will have to
> reactivate before changing any more or it will quit working.

I believe this changed in the release, mainly due to consumer griping.
It's supposedly 6 items, and increasing memory won't count. I don't know
if it's true, but that's what they said...

I've actually got XP's final RC running on a P200 with 128MB. It's a tad
sluggish, but far better than 2000 is on the P2-266 systems that some
people use at work. Took forever to get it to admit I already had a
network running at home and didn't need to set up a new one, though.
However, once I pulled that off it seems to work better with samba then 98
or 2K.

I think that if it doesn't have any bad habits, and we can change the look
and feel of it to be close to 2K, that we'll end up pushing it out at
work. If we have to use that changed interface then I don't know - thin
clients off the Suns looks better and better :-)