Re: Windows XP

Subject: Re: Windows XP
From: Richard Mckinney (mckinney@gci.net)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 23:52:06 AKST

I've had a good time playing with win2k. Add libcap and you have alot
of the free network stuff available--SNORT, tcpdump(windump), Analyzer,
an ssh daemon running as a service...
I even went to the extreme of installing the Cygwin stuf and tried to
build a few things (gcc make). It starts to go downhill from there but
all in all it works OK.

civileme wrote:

> On Thursday 25 October 2001 21:23, Chase C. wrote:
> > okay, here's the big question- Anybody else toying around with Windows XP?
> > what's wrong with it?
> >
> > so far... it deleted my user settings, dispite claiming that it wouldnt do
> > that.
> >
> > oh.. and can we say Monopoly? yeesh Microsoft's takin over the world!
> > ahhhhh well okay maybe not.
> >
> > Chase
> >

> Well you have to use FAT32 if you want to dual-boot. The NTFS isn't
> compatible with any other windowsNTFS including win2K.

I recall dual booting between XP and win2k on ntfs. getting the
boot.ini was a little funny in XP though...type boot.ini at the comand
prompt in the root directory??? go figure.

> You cannot use VNC or PCAnywhere to remote control it until you are able to
> buy a copy of PCAnywhere specifically licensed for it. This is a license
> violation if you do which invalidates your license.

I thought they added a management console ala terminal services to XP.
I have used terminal services on win2k and I must say it works pretty
good.
I think its lighter on the network than vnc.

> Think about capturing the outgoing packets and examining them for phone-homes.
>
> Remember that as soon as you change three items of hardware, you will have to
> reactivate before changing any more or it will quit working.
Wasn't there a 'computer profile' that is not as stringent in hardware
changes?
something like "mobile computer" or something I think.