Re: /etc/fstab syntax for samba?

Subject: Re: /etc/fstab syntax for samba?
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 18:38:03 AKDT

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Mac Mason wrote:

> Does anyone know offhand (or know somewhere for me to look) for the correct
> syntax for adding a samba mount to /etc/fstab?
> I want to add the a share on my parents' win98 box, so I can save stuff to
> their HDD, but firing up LinNeighborhood is getting old: I'd rather just use
> mount.app, but that means I need to add it to /etc/fstab.
>
> Any ideas?

Check 'man 8 smbmount'

It would appear to be standard fstab entry with a few minor points

The first field (the device to mount) should be in share format
(e.g. //server/share )
The third field should be 'smbfs'
The forth field (options) should have the appropriate options from the
above man page in it.. specifically, to be called from a script, you need
either the 'guest' option, or the password='value' option, otherwise it
prompts you for one (even if the share doesn't have one set..) wich will
break your mount app.

You might also want to refresh your memory with 'man 5 fstab' as well.

James Gibson

--
Everything in Unix is either written in C
or has to try hard to pretend it is