[aklug] Re: Small PFSense Router?

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2016 - 14:35:50 AKDT

I'm super happy with this, but the $150 barebones base price, plus 8G
RAM and a 60GB SSD, it's $220 reasonably populated, on top of a 40W
power supply, it may not be what you're looking for.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci323-nano#spec

But I personally would pay the power cost in exchange for the
additional room and oomph. There are some low-budget 2-NIC boxes on
Amazon that you can get, but not that much less expensive for what you
get.

Only thing I've noticed is a little video flakiness when using VGA
directly. Also, the NICs are Broadcom and not Intel, so if you're
pushing high-ish volumne (just a guess, maybe cbrown will chime in
here, but more than 200Mb/s?), you might look around more.

But you can do full proxy with ClamAV, etc. I'd definitely go pfSense.
But I'm biased. :)

Royce