[aklug] Re: Small PFSense Router?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2016 - 17:26:03 AKDT

Might I ask why you need 3 ports? Do you have two lans to keep separated in
addition to the wan? Just curiosity, as there are many ways to skin a cat.

If you want to play around, then just about anything will work, you don't
even need two NICs if you run it through a switch that supports vlans. That
said, the best I have been able to get as far as throughput on commodity
NICs in a pfSense box is about 700mbit on a supposed 1000mbit connection.
You can speculate as to whether or not that was a limitation on the
hardware or the ISP oversubscribing. I don't have access to anything of
real speed here in AK, so I can't tell you what real throughput it is
capable of... but it is safe to say you will never tax it up here. You will
see a big difference if you push a lot through the VPN or in your raw speed
with good quality Intel NICs, but you could spend as much for your NICs as
you do the little box.

The link you sent looks like it would be a bit on the underpowered side,
and 256mb of ram might work but it would be super tight (see system
requirements <https://www.pfsense.org/hardware/> half way down the page
where 1gb of ram is recommended). It is also helpful to change the mindset
of what this device is designed to do for you... in reality A LOT! So,
while you COULD get a box on par as far as specifications go with something
like a Watchguard or Sonicwall, it doesn't mean you want to handicap
yourself intentionally.

pfSense can change your whole perspective on perimeter devices and the
savings of a hundred watts becomes something you laugh about looking back.
But take that with a grain of salt, coming from a long-term pfSense addict;
to me any firewall appliance (watchguard/sonicwall/netgear/linksys) is
nothing more than a modern BEFSR41 or too high-end for me to even want to
get involved in, i.e. disposable or above my pay grade :-D

Below are some models that I either know someone has used or I had thought
of trying.

https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Ubuntu-Computer-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B018LWHBTG
https://www.amazon.com/fanless-Bt4-0-Computer-ethernets-Q190P/dp/B01ARGBA9Q
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Quad-Core-Graphics-Barebones-ZBOX-CI323NANO-U/dp/B0179S50UU