[aklug] Need a little nudge in the right direction...

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Thu Jan 14 2016 - 10:53:50 AKST

I have a client with a windows network of about 40 workstations, the file
shares are (will be shortly) on a simple NAS, and the rest of their work is
on the cloud. At present, the only feature of Active Directory they need is
the ability to login to different computers, they jump around a lot, but
they DO NOT need roaming profiles, just mapped drives.

I have, on half a dozen occasions, setup an SME server to replace SBS 2000
and SBS 2003 servers. I know that there is Win 7,8,10 support in SME with a
registry patch, and I am testing it in a lab with Win 10 as I have already
had good success with Win 8 and 7 in past labs. So, technically I know it
is possible and reliable.

Here is my quandary... the only negative I can come up with from the last
15yrs of IT work and running both Windows and Linux emulated domains is
that I have in the past built something only I can maintain. This is a risk
for the client, and it causes unnecessarily stress for me. So... are there
any techs in Anchorage that have used SME server, so that if I am hit by a
bus they could pick it up and run with it? Or does this risk outweigh the
savings on M$ licensing (about $4500), as I estimate the labor to rebuild
the domain to be a wash either way.

--
*JP (Jesse Perry)*
voice/txt: 907-748-2200