[aklug] Re: Feasibility of Business Concept

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Fri Apr 03 2015 - 10:00:40 AKDT

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM, JP <jp@jptechnical.com> wrote:
> In 15yrs I have only sold 2 linux boxes to someone just wanting an
> internet/email computer, and they only bought from me because they didn't
> think they could get it installed on their own.

Actual field experience in the same market - very useful information, JP.

The only thing that might be able to offset this somewhat is the
potential glut of former XP machines. This is a market pressure that
has been partially suppressed in the past 14 years of XP's lifetime.

You might be able to reach the users who should be getting off of XP
(but maybe can't afford a new computer right now, or something?).
Between Windows workalike distros like Zorin, automatic security
patching, and Wine, you might be able to help Great Aunt Martha
de-XPify herself - either in situ, or swapping her out like for like
(and then refurbishing the hardware that you receive in exchange).

Tinkering with the apps and workflow of heavily entrenched users can
be fraught with peril. But may also be an untapped market
opportunity. if Great Aunt Martha's 40-year-old nephew Bob knows how
vulnerable XP is, you might be able to reach Martha through Bob, and
solve a problem for both of them.

Royce