[aklug] Re: Feasibility of Business Concept

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Apr 03 2015 - 09:50:07 AKDT

On 04/03/2015 07:30 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I know that there a lot of Alaska business people on this list. I'm
> currently working as a sales associate in retail electronics, to make
> ends meet, as they say. Working in that environment has stimulated my
> thinking, and made me wonder if it wouldn't be possible to make some
> money selling cheap refurbished consumer IT equipment over the
> Internet, running free software. But I was hoping for a second opinion
> from business-savvy people on the list, especially on whether or not
> it would be feasible to do that from Alaska. (I'm currently living in
> Fairbanks, and would rather not move).
snip

The other good points aside, you also want to consider the tax
implications for your "modest" markup. As a small bbusiness owner
you'll be paying 15% social security tax (the 7.5% that normally comes
out of your paycheck, and the 7.5% that the employer pays). That's on
top of normal income tax. Make sure the humble profit is enough that
you're not working for a buck an hour when it's all said and done...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska