[aklug] Re: Gnu/Linux on the SOHO?

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 18:39:29 AKST

* Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com> [150217 09:38]:
[..]
> From my job search efforts in Fairbanks, I've got the
> impression that most small business owners have never even heard of
> it. But maybe things are different in Anchorage.
  I would guess that most small business owners have *not* heard of
  linux, but a significant number have. I have had discussions with
  some business owners (and some of those are not that small) about
  switch to linux. I've been frank about the overhead, learning
  curve and lack of industry-specific apps.

  Microsoft has ruled the roost in part by their business
  applications. Also, I know that at least at one time, Microsoft
  owned a piece of Apple. Might there have been an arrangement
  whereby Apple treaded lightly in the business application area?
  Inquiring minds want to know ...

  I do believe that there is a possibility for someone to carve a
  place for themselves by customizing Open Office and making it a
  shallow learning curve.

  It's really all about the bottom line in terms of what the cost
  benefits would be for a small business to make the switch and have
  the industry specific software that they are already familiar
  ported to linux.

  It'll never happen -- not in my lifetime, but maybe Chris's --

--
Tim