[aklug] Re: Gnu/Linux on the SOHO?

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 16:22:17 AKST

On Tuesday 17 February 2015 09:29:40 am Christopher Howard wrote:
> I was wondering, since there are a broad range of Alaskans on this
> list: Do you know of any places in Alaska where Gnu/Linux is
> succeeding, or even being used, on the SOHO level? I mean,
> particularly, small businesses that do not do I.T. as their main
> business. From my job search efforts in Fairbanks, I've got the
> impression that most small business owners have never even heard of
> it. But maybe things are different in Anchorage.
>
> (Incidentally, I've more or less given up hope of finding an actual
> I.T. job in Fairbanks -- the market is horrible as usual. And now that
> UA is plunging into the red and laying off right and left, it is
> pretty tough getting into anything at UAF. Oh,

> if only I had been an
> accounting major! It seems like one out of every two businesses in
> Fairbanks needs a bookkeeper.)

Not a small..more micro, all my workstations have GNU/Linux on
them..virtualization for anything else. Windows laptop for running
unenlightened (all) clients software.... +1, I have a DOS executable from one
vendor that is 20+? years old, runs in Freedos/Dosemu
..coool.

I am in the construction industry.....all my clients use Windows around here

--
Peace,
Greg