[aklug] Re: Introduction...

From: Matthew Mannhardt <captain.griz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 02 2014 - 23:40:07 AKST

Hi Josh, Just a quick msg to test out my posting to AKlug after over a
decade away from it. Will follow up more, later after I've verified my
process is working now that I've re-subscribed to AKLug.

Lance and I started IA (Internet Alaska) back in `94. Lance was the
"visionary". I brought the technical skills having been a
Network/SysAdmin/Hardware Eng at Arco Alaska back-in-the-day. Lance was
Pres/CEO/Dreamer and I was VP/CTO/nuts-and-bolts. ATU only negotiated a
30% ownership in `95, Never a 51% which ACS would have loved but it was a
sale of ATU to ACS by the "good citizens of Anchorage" that sunk our boat.
That gave our competitor (PTInet, owned by ACS, which employed some of our
ex-employees like Dee and Ryan) access to our financial info as well as
being our biggest accounts payables. I can't say much about ACS as they
now pay my paycheck although I'm somewhat protected as an IBEW member but
let me just say that IMHO, ACS is the least slimy of the two, ACS & GCI.
GCI is like the "Chilkoot Charlie" ("We cheat the other guy and pass the
savings on to.... nobody") where as ACS... your typical dysfunctional
amoral corporation and management that could stand to catch a clue. With
some good people working for each of them.

Enough for now. I'll read the posts over the next couple days and see what
questions I can answer about my baby, Internet Alaska...

--
Matt Mannhardt
(previously, mattm@alaska.net)
On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice to meet you all!
> > --
> >
> > Josh Reynolds, Chief Information Officer
> > SPITwSPOTS, www.spitwspots.com
>
> Hi Josh,
>
> Nice to see you on the list. I kept running into your posts on the
> Ubiquiti forums and guessed I see you here eventually.
>
> Started using Linux for file serving in 1998 and haven't looked back.
> Most of my experience is as a small rural ISP; I use mostly RPM based
> distros but have dabbled a bit on the other side. I like FreeBSD
> variants for routing and traffic shaping. Put up two new towers in
> 2014 and have more planned in 2015 + FTTH rollout.
>
> Pretty much grew up in Alaska, some outside college. Two kids, 11 and
> 9. My 'other job' has been teaching music for 10 years, but I've had
> to cut back due to the ISP expansion.
>
> For a while there was a fairly active #fossak irc channel, and there's
> still an #aklug, but I haven't been on it in a while. Maybe it's time
> to resurrect it.
>
> Jeremy Austin aka jermudgeon
> Whitestone Power & Communications

Matt Mannhardt
"Why yes, as a matter-of-fact, I DO own the road...
but I'll share it with you if you're nice."