[aklug] Re: WTB: freestanding tower

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Wed Jun 25 2014 - 22:04:22 AKDT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> Anyone know who in the state might stock larger freestanding towers, if any?
> Looking in the 70-80 foot range, medium duty. Also would consider used if
> condition warrants.

It might be best if you define what medium duty means in terms of wind
load of the antennas you want to use.

Be very careful considering used towers of any kind. The cost of the
tower itself is almost always the cheapest part of the total cost. Other
parts will be the cost of a properly sized foundation, delivery cost,
assembly, adequate grounding, etc. A 70 ft. free standing tower will need
a beefy foundation.

That said, I believe most of the three-legged towers you see around
Anchorage for certain cell sites, most SOA and Muni repeater sites, etc.
are manufactured by Sabre Industries. Depending on the size of the
antenna(s) you intend to install, those towers could be considered
anything from light to very heavy duty.

For vendors, it's always possible Frigid North has something, but I
believe they mostly deal in Rohn guyed towers. Note that Rohn has
engineering specs on installing their guyed towers in a free-standing
configuration, and it's possible Rohn 55g or 65g might work to 70 ft free
standing, I don't really know.

In addition to New Horizons Telecom, it might also be worth checking with
North Slope Telecom. If all else fails, I guarantee that Marsh Creek can
get you set up with exactly what you need, but it'll probably be pricey.

Mike