[aklug] Re: RouterBoard

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Jun 25 2014 - 21:32:49 AKDT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 21:22:24 -0800
Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:

> As much as I hate to say it ... if you need this level of
> functionality, performance, ease-of-use, and hardware support ... then
> I think that you're either better off going commercial, or you're
> going to have to tinker at least a little bit.
>
> Commercial doesn't have to be super-expensive. You might want to
> check out the Ubiquiti stuff:
>
> http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax
>
> They run a fork of Vyatta, and there appears to be some
> cross-pollination among the projects:
>
> http://dotbalm.org/leaving-pfsense-for-vyos/

Thanks for the link to the EdgeRouters. That's the sort of thing I'm
interested in. Professional grade, ready-to-go netgear, running on
FOSS (I found the GPL-source download link on the same site). If I
have any money left over after the end of the month, I might buy one
of of those EdgeRouter Lite's just to play around with it and learn
the software.