[aklug] Re: Dual-boot for Mac any experiences

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org>
Date: Fri Mar 28 2014 - 19:24:24 AKDT

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-27 13:05 -0500]:
> I've used linux since 2000. When I got this Mac Mini in late 2011 I
> did so because I wanted something with a small footprint that was
> _not_ a laptop.

Heh: I've tried that multiple times, and I always end up with a big
old used system because that allows me to stuff lots of drives in the
main case.

> Just for grins, I stuck with OSX because it is a posix system under
> the hood. Although it proved to be more difficult to set up than
> slackware......

Also what I found: homebrew (packaging framework) was helpful, but
overall not a solution for most things.

> I have more of a comfort level with ubuntu than OSX, so that's where
> I'm headed. Not so sure about Unity, though. I've got xubuntu on three
> netbooks here and I am so far more comfortable with that distro. I've
> got another workstation where I installed 32-bit ubuntu 12.04 and then
> added in the 'classic' gnome. That I prefer to Unity also.

I'm most comfortable on debian and FreeBSD. I currently run one VPS of
each, and will probably start searching for another system to be
comfortable with now that debian will be switching to systemd. Not sure
what that'll look like yet, but perhaps something new will come along...
or I'll try Nevaeh again. ;)

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]