[aklug] Re: Dual-boot for Mac any experiences

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Mar 27 2014 - 10:04:46 AKDT

* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org> [140326 19:03]:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-25 16:15 -0500]:
> >>I think start out with whatever type of partition you want to try
> >>out, and see what works: that's the great thing about having an extra
> >>partition. ;)
> >
> > As per your instruction, made a partition of the external HD I use
> > for Time Machine, set to HFS+ Journaling and Case-Sensitive, then
> > disabled journaling - which is a bit tricky - I had to use a
> > combination of the alt/option key with the mouse click.
> >
> > Seems to work....
> > Thanks for much for the advice - it is greatly appreciated.
>
> Great! I'm glad it worked, and please let me know if you run into any
> problems with the setup (I never did, but I lost interest in the OS X
> way of things after about 3 years).

  I've used linux since 2000. When I got this Mac Mini in late 2011
  I did so because I wanted something with a small footprint that
  was _not_ a laptop.

  Just for grins, I stuck with OSX because it is a posix system
  under the hood. Although it proved to be more difficult to set up
  than slackware......

  I have more of a comfort level with ubuntu than OSX, so that's
  where I'm headed. Not so sure about Unity, though. I've got
  xubuntu on three netbooks here and I am so far more comfortable
  with that distro. I've got another workstation where I installed
  32-bit ubuntu 12.04 and then added in the 'classic' gnome. That I
  prefer to Unity also.

--
Tim