[aklug] Re: Dual-boot for Mac any experiences

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2014 - 10:12:05 AKDT

* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org> [140328 20:10]:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-27 13:05 -0500]:
<...>
> >Just for grins, I stuck with OSX because it is a posix system under
> >the hood. Although it proved to be more difficult to set up than
> >slackware......
>
> Also what I found: homebrew (packaging framework) was helpful, but
> overall not a solution for most things.
  Ditto for macports.

> >I have more of a comfort level with ubuntu than OSX, so that's where
> >I'm headed. Not so sure about Unity, though. I've got xubuntu on three
> >netbooks here and I am so far more comfortable with that distro. I've
> >got another workstation where I installed 32-bit ubuntu 12.04 and then
> >added in the 'classic' gnome. That I prefer to Unity also.
>
> I'm most comfortable on debian and FreeBSD. I currently run one VPS of
> each, and will probably start searching for another system to be
> comfortable with now that debian will be switching to systemd. Not sure
> what that'll look like yet, but perhaps something new will come along...
> or I'll try Nevaeh again. ;)
  In 2007, I bought a Gateway and having used slackware previously,
  I was attracted to the debian package manager system. I spent a
  week trying to get debian to work and gave up. Having used up a
  lot of my discretionary time, I had a total brainfart and just
  stuck in ubuntu and it just worked. In the beginning, not nearly
  as stable as slack, tho'.

  Having a computer life outside of coding and a life outside of
  computers, there is something appealing about no-brainer package
  management, and for my purposes ubuntu (inheriting from debian, I
  assume) fills the bill.

--
Tim