[aklug] Re: Dual-boot for Mac any experiences

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2014 - 07:33:08 AKDT

* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org> [140320 16:57]:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-20 14:13 -0500]:
[...]
> >Does anyone have any experiences to share or caveats, or any "heads
> >up"?
>
> I didn't have any problems dual-booting my Macbook Pro either with
> Debian or Windows. The real problem came when trying to triple boot it.
> Regardless, below is the post I did to remind myself of the various
> tweaks I encountered while performing the initial dual boot.
>
> http://caterva.org/posts/2011/10/07/Debian_on_Macbook_Pro_5.2/
>
> With rEFIt the overall experience was pretty easy.
  I downloaded the "mac-enhanced" ubuntu iso
  ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
  Since the iso was over 700 Mb I created a .dmg from it
  [code]
  hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ubuntu-12.04_install.dmg
  ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
  [/code]
  And put it on a usb stick
  [code]
  dd if=ubuntu-12.04_install.dmg of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
  [/code]
  The thumbdrive booted without a problem.
  Installation hung at the
  " Prepare To Install Ubuntu "
  Window until I unchecked
  " Download Updates While Installing "
  and
  " Install this Third-Party Software "
  Installation than proceeded and completed very quickly.
  I haven't had much to time to config yet, but performance is 'way'
  faster than OSX 10.7

  Question :
  I don't like the following method described at
  http://www.markgreenall.co.uk/blog/Mount-Macbook-Disk-OSX--HFS-on-Ubuntu-1204-LTS-with-ReadWrite
  I would create a small fat32 partition for moving data from ubuntu
  to the mac partition.

  Does that sound like a good plan?
  thanks

--