[aklug] Re: Dual-boot for Mac any experiences

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2014 - 10:58:11 AKDT

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-25 10:33 -0500]:
>* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org> [140320 16:57]:
>> * Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [2014-03-20 14:13 -0500]:
>[...]
>>>Does anyone have any experiences to share or caveats, or any "heads
>>>up"?
>>
>> With rEFIt the overall experience was pretty easy.
>
>I downloaded the "mac-enhanced" ubuntu iso
>ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64+mac.iso

>I haven't had much to time to config yet, but performance is 'way'
>faster than OSX 10.7
>
>Question:
>I don't like the following method described at
>http://www.markgreenall.co.uk/blog/Mount-Macbook-Disk-OSX--HFS-on-Ubuntu-1204-LTS-with-ReadWrite
>I would create a small fat32 partition for moving data from ubuntu to
>the mac partition.
>
>Does that sound like a good plan?

The separate partition sounds like a good plan, but you may want to try
HFS+ non-journaled for the separate partition, as noted here:

http://superuser.com/questions/392702/which-file-system-to-use-in-between-osx-and-linux

The reasons I'd recommend *not* using fat32 are permissions (doesn't
retain) and file size limits (I got bit by the max file size once, it
hurt).

However, remember when creating the HFS+ non-journaled partition to
select case-sensitivity, as otherwise you may get some surprising
behavior (when transferring between OS X and linux). I would not turn
on case-sensitivity in your primary OS-X partition, as I noticed some
weird breakage in a few applications (notably Steam's client) which
happened only when case-sensitivity was enabled on the primary
partition.

I think start out with whatever type of partition you want to try out,
and see what works: that's the great thing about having an extra
partition. ;)

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]