[aklug] Re: GCI caching DNS/whois too long?

From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2014 - 00:46:19 AKDT

I am assuming that what you actually mean is that the registered name
servers for those domains were changed.

DNS record caching is controlled by the TTL for the zone, combined with
the MIN and MAX cache settings of the server doing the caching.

The root anchors that cause the referral to the correct set of name
servers for a specific domain are a separate from your zone records and
take time to change.

It has been far to long since I played DNS master anywhere to remember
or know the current cycle, but there is (at least there used to be) a
fixed update cycle for updating the root servers, and the root zones
themselves operate with a fairly long TTL.

The correct name servers are not going to be queried until after the
next update cycle, and even then it could be days to a week before all
of the cached zone pointers expire.

Normally, one fully populates a new set of DNS servers, and make sure up
to date records are present in the old and then submits the changes,
allowing time for the transition to happen before retiring the old servers.