[aklug] GCI caching DNS/whois too long?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 13:21:59 AKDT

So, I have some sites which had their whois info change on Sunday. I can get
to the correct IPs from ACS DNS. However, I'm still seeing old IP addresses
when querying for those records on GCI. Examples:

joshuakugler.com
azariah.com

Those point to the old text drive host.

I just got off the phone with a GCI support person (who appeared pretty
knowledgeable). He said GCI was caching the (whois?) information for seven
days, so would always be looking at the old DNS servers until such a time as
seven days expire, or the old DNS server doesn't respond as authoritative.
The TTL's on the old records, by the way are only 40 minutes. I was under the
impression that whois changes for supposed to propagate within a day or two,
and DNS servers were supposed to honor upstream TTL's.

Is GCI getting that "seven day" figure from somewhere? Or are they arbitrarily
caching records for longer than they should?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A