[aklug] Getting into Networking

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 21:52:37 AKDT

Hey guys (esp. anyone the Fairbanks/NSB area): I can't remember if I've
mentioned this, but a few months back I decided to shift my career focus
toward computer networking (net tech). Currently, I've got an ITS degree
(associates), A+, LPIC-1, and a Network+. The department I work in at
UAF has been letting me play with some of their spare Cisco equipment,
so I thought I would try for a CCNA next.

I want to get as much hands-on (smart) switch, router, and wireless
experience as I can. So if there happens to be anyone in Fairbanks who
has any nice equipment (any brand or OS) I could borrow or get access to
somehow, I would appreciate any help. My department doesn't actually
have that much equipment to spare, so I was going to start looking to
some other departments (maybe OIT or GI CRC) but I'm not sure how
friendly they will be...

God willing, this summer I was going to start looking around for some
kind of entry level net tech position, hopefully in the Fairbanks area.
So, if anybody happens to hear of something interesting, please keep me
in mind. (I haven't done any searching myself yet -- been busy with
school, my current job, and studying for the certs.)

--
http://www.lugod.org/presentations/pgp/why.html