[aklug] Re: Disk Drive Problems

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Fri Mar 07 2014 - 16:23:48 AKST

I know this won't help the current predicament, but about a decade ago I
was migrating an old server that had been in one place for about 6 years. I
removed the drive to start the clone process. The drive must have stalled
because the tracers from the power connector to the motor broke and curled
up, much smoke, such wow.

I soldered bits of telephone wire to complete the circuit and finished the
clone. The client provided the soldering iron, as they were and aircraft
parts and service center. In the end, the server kept running for another
6mo before he got around to finishing the migration.

Quantum Bigfoot, double thick, 120mb or some craziness, they don't make 'em
like that anymore!