[aklug] Re: UNDELETE

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2014 - 22:24:08 AKST

On 03/04/2014 07:32 PM, Shane Spencer wrote:
> I have a fun one where I have a dead drive that was part of a two disk
> linear block device. It was a dual disk USB drive that I thought was
> mirrored.. alas it was an append of two drives half the size I thought
> they were. Yay.
>
> So here's the deal. I need to dump the contents of one to a disk
> image.. then somehow magically move the platters over. Anybody know
> how feasible this is? I'd also like to get data recovered from this
> funky situation.
>

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM, James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net
> <mailto:e5z8652@zuelow.net>> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, March 04, 2014 13:37:44 Bill Bouterse wrote:
>

> > I have read many, many RTFM and searched endlessly. However I
> know once
> > one begins to attempt recovery YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
> > It happen to me over 15 years ago and with the tools at the time I
> > accomplished nothing.
> >
> > Has anyone had a successful recovery of anything similar.?
> >
> > WH (Bill) Bouterse
> > Now Residing in Juneau
>
> Yes,
>
> Trinity Rescue Kit has a couple of utilities that you can use to
> recover
> deleted files and partitions.
>
> It scans the drive looking for orphaned inodes.
>
> I haven't used a disk in a few years, but I have successfully
> recovered
> deleted partitions and files from ext2 and ext3.
>
> The newer version of Trinity might help.
>
> James

Shane, perhaps you could image both disks and then trim one to synch up
with the other? Block sizes and sectors tend to be predictable.
Assuming of course that the manufacturer didn't add any curve balls to
the equation. Was dealing with mfg curve balls with a codec somebody on
the AMIA-L list asked about this weekend. See
http://spreadys.wordpress.com/2013/09/29/march-networks-mnm4-codec/

===

ON THE BEACH (Krammer, 1959). Speaking to ...
Cmdr. Dwight Lionel Towers, USS Sawfish (Gregory Peck):

Moira Davidson (Ava Gardner): [drunk] Nobody can explain it to me.....
All I want to know is if everybody was so smart why didn't they know
what would happen?