[aklug] Re: Open maker night at Anchorage Makerspace

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2014 - 18:52:55 AKST

* Dale Rooney <dale.rooney@gmail.com> [140218 17:11]:
> Hi Tim, the terms hacker space and Makerspace are pretty much the same
> thing. We chose Makerspace to avoid any negative connotation.
  Unfortunately, the use of the term "hacker" has been applied to
  criminals, terrorists and vandals. So it goes. I remember when the
  word "geek" meant a carnival worker who bit the heads off of
  chickens for a quarter.... I never could imagine doing that to a
  chicken.

> Sorry for the late notice but we actually only intended to post it on our
> Meetup site. I know several of the AKLUG members and was emailing them for
> other reasons so I took it upon myself to invite AKLUG.
>
> There are some people in the valley interested in starting a Makerspace.
> Also, last year the Twindly Bridge school was doing an open shop night once
> a month. It wasn't a full shop though it does have a 3d printer.

  Wow! I'd never heard of Twindly Bridge. Of course my youngest
  'kid' is 35 and one of my six went to the Alternative School...
  (Now called Burchell High) cheers

> Dale
> On Feb 18, 2014 1:31 PM, "Tim Johnson" <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > * Dale Rooney <dale.rooney@gmail.com> [140218 13:07]:
> > > The new Anchorage Makerspace is hosting an open maker night tonight from
> > 6
> > > to 9 pm. It's at 1406 W 33rd Ave unit A. A lot of AMS members are Linux
> > and
> > > open source users and fans. If you're not sure what a makerspace is check
> > > out hackerspaces.org.
> > >
> > > Hope to see you there.
> > I appreciate the heads up Dale, but I'd like to make a couple of
> > comments:
> >
> > 1)Some of us do not live in Anchorage - in my case I live in
> > Palmer and don't travel regularly to Anchorage. Notice some days
> > in advance would enable me to make the necessary plans.
> >
> > 2)Although I've heard of "Makerspaces" I still don't know what it
> > means, and if I go to to hackerspaces.org and do a work search, I
> > don't find any match to the string "makerspace".
> >
> > On a related note, I am bemused by the positive connotation given
> > to "hacker" at that site.
> >
> > I'll be in Anchorage tomorrow, doing a presentation to a Drupal
> > Users Group of how I interface Drupal with my own python
> > framework. When I made my intention known to some die-hard
> > drupalists, they used the word "hacking" as if it were a
> > negative... (FYI: drupal is a php-based CMS)
> >
> > Oh, and Chris, when I get that interface down, you can hook Lisp
> > and Haskell into Drupal also. :) LOL
> > --
> > Tim
> > tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
> > http://www.akwebsoft.com, http://www.tj49.com
> > ---------

Tim