[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 23:29:33 AKST

On 11/11/2013 11:22 PM, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org
> <mailto:greg@amipa.org>> wrote:
>
> Besides, I don't like any corporation that requires me to furnish
> it with a credit card number (Apple Store) in order to upgrade my
> software.
>

> Quite true, for App Store software. But Apple still allows software
> from any source at owner's discretion. Hence homebrew.
>
> Yellow Dog Linux used to support G4s.
>
> Since Apple discontinued G4s at least 7 or 8 years ago, no wonder
> you're fed up! I imagine it's similar to trying to use one of the
> first laptops "Designed for Windows XP".
>
> Good luck. There are some great options for hardware these days. The
> screens on some of those Chromebooks are amazing, and shockingly cheap.
>
> jermudgeon
>
> FWIW I've had no problems with 10.9, but I had already made the switch
> to FCPX, for instance. Also I am not opposed to the occasional
> hackintosh project. I remember a certain Dell Mini ultra book fondly.

Jeremy,

I run Linux on some pretty old machines and with great success. Perhaps
I'm "old school" but when I pay $1500 dollars, or more for something, I
expect it to last for more than "7 or 8 years." Apple has been screwing
its customer base for years (I still have a couple Quadras - remember
those at almost 3 grand each?) Apple's game is kinda obvious if you
look at the time frames for their security updates for, oh say 10.4, -
which got less than 2 years support. Spend your money as you wish, I've
had it with Apple hardware.

--greg

--
Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)