[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 23:22:55 AKST

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org> wrote:

> Besides, I don't like any corporation that requires me to furnish it with
> a credit card number (Apple Store) in order to upgrade my software.

Quite true, for App Store software. But Apple still allows software from
any source at owner's discretion. Hence homebrew.

Yellow Dog Linux used to support G4s.

Since Apple discontinued G4s at least 7 or 8 years ago, no wonder you're
fed up! I imagine it's similar to trying to use one of the first laptops
"Designed for Windows XP".

Good luck. There are some great options for hardware these days. The
screens on some of those Chromebooks are amazing, and shockingly cheap.

jermudgeon

FWIW I've had no problems with 10.9, but I had already made the switch to
FCPX, for instance. Also I am not opposed to the occasional hackintosh
project. I remember a certain Dell Mini ultra book fondly.