[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 23:10:14 AKST

Thanks to all for laptop advice!

FWIW unless I buy a used Intel Mac Apple is not an option for me. The
laptop I had to lug around at a conference last week is a G4 PPC which
is a lousy machine for most of the programs I'd want to run on it. I
would note further, and perhaps off topic that I think Apple looks more
and more like MS of late and is playing games with me in order to
increase profits. At work we don't plan to update to the Apple OS 10.9
(so called "Maverick") because if it is like previous Apple upgrades
some of the "legacy" software we depend on might/will stop working.
Besides, I don't like any corporation that requires me to furnish it
with a credit card number (Apple Store) in order to upgrade my software.

Just say'n.

--greg

--
Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)