[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sat Oct 19 2013 - 11:52:48 AKDT

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, JP wrote:

> I am following the discussion with great interest, though not enough to
> post and declare my ignorance, until challenged ;-) So here is my
> declaration of ignorance: I consider anything sent electronically subject
> to someone poking around in it and live accordingly, so this doesn't really
> get my tinfoil knickers in a twist.

I think what you're missing is a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Electronic mail is endlessly easier to compromise with no one the wiser, but
that doesn't mean we shouldn't have the same level of privacy protection as
we do the USPS.

In short, the problem is that we have a split reality in which content has
differing levels of legal status depending on whether it's rendered in a
physical medium, or digital. It's the content that's important, not the
medium, and the levels of protection should be equal.

This problem is made more hypocritical and glaring by certain corporations,
who want to have their cake and eat it, too. Legislation like the DMCA is a
blatant attempt to give them the the power to achieve that end for *their*
content, while keeping the consumer at the same level of depredation.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die