[aklug] Re: SSL "health" in Alaska (was: ACS Google Gateway)

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Sat Oct 12 2013 - 13:43:41 AKDT

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> The take away is if privacy is important, you need to be using perfect
>> forward secrecy and the best current implementation is via
>> Diffie-Hellman. OpenSSL can implement this now, but it's not default.
>
> What Tom said. Here's a great way to check the health and de-facto
> negotiated browser cipher sets for your web OpenSSL setup:
>
> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/
>
> Be sure to check the "Do not show the results on the boards" checkbox
> if you don't want your test to show up in the lists.

I thought I'd elaborate a bit here.

First, the gold standard (but don't try this at home; Google has in-house
customization of OpenSSL to get this level of security:

A:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.google.com&s=173.194.46.0

And some results of local interest (I flipped through the State's list of
top employers and picked some with Alaska-specific web servers: