[aklug] Re: SSL "health" in Alaska (was: ACS Google Gateway)

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Sat Oct 12 2013 - 22:47:21 AKDT

Royce and Tom,

Thanks for your insights. Last time I checked ACS had not implemented
SSL, at least for residential users. My concern with the ACS
affiliation with Google is that, as an ACS residential customer who
connects to The Internet via ACS, is that Google might have access to
unique identifiers that circumvent any attempts to keep what I look at,
do on The Internet (FTP, Torrent, etc), or send via email private using
measures at home will fail. It's not very complicated and like I said -
you don't get something for nothing. Those Google boxes that sit inside
the ACS network come at a price? FWIW
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=acsalaska.net yields
nothing and https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=gci.net gets
an "F" from SSL Lab????

--greg

--
Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)