[aklug] Re: New NETGEAR R6300v2 AC 1750 Router

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 16:21:40 AKDT

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>wrote:

> Vendor comparisons start on page 30, and it includes everyone, from
> Aerohive
> to Ubiquiti. The 20 iPad load test, pushing iPerf, FTP, and video, was
> surprising. Out of 16 vendors/models all but four dropped out entirely.
> Crazy.

I was looking for that! Good find. I'd read it before.

This was the money quote, for me, on page 3. "In one test, we allowed the
Apple AirPort Extreme Access Point to use their default 40MHz channels.
This alone skyrocketed
the Apple to the highest ranking in both aggregate throughput as well as
minimizing iPad errors. Even though only one frequency was used, just
because the iPads were version v4 and supported these 40MHz wide channels –
the results were so skewed we had to throw them out of the competition."

They gave the Airport the highest recommendation for home use. For those of
us who want to manage the wireless environment more tightly, though…

There are valid points there about interference and overlapping channels
etc.

In my case, I'm a bit spoiled in that I have to legitimately overlap very
few channels, so I've been running 40mhz channels since they became
available! (Or auto 40/20, so to speak.) Artificially limiting the test to
20mhz makes me look forward even more to the 40mhz version.

Plus 802.11ac.

I'd love to see a shootout between the Ruckus you have, the new Unifi AP
(which doesn't yet support roaming) and one of the new Airports, with the
same setup, 20 iPads or the like. And 20 3x3 capable devices. :)

jermudgeon