[aklug] Re: New NETGEAR R6300v2 AC 1750 Router

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 21:55:12 AKDT

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> In my case, I'm a bit spoiled in that I have to legitimately overlap very
> few channels, so I've been running 40mhz channels since they became
> available! (Or auto 40/20, so to speak.) Artificially limiting the test to
> 20mhz makes me look forward even more to the 40mhz version.

Now that I'm dual band I run 40MHz only on 5GHz, and 20MHz only on 2.4GHz.
40MHz on 2.4GHz makes no sense where I am because of the number of
transmitters in the area, plus most WAPs have a crappy sense of "fairness"
in mixed modes. I think Aruba is one of the exceptions that regulate
fairness by broadcast time, not bits per time cycle. The latter, which most
vendors do, just sucks the wind out of everyone's sails, letting the slowest
clients hog most of the signal.

I'm not sure how Ruckus handles it, I just kept with what's worked for me
over the years.

> I'd love to see a shootout between the Ruckus you have, the new Unifi AP
> (which doesn't yet support roaming) and one of the new Airports, with the
> same setup, 20 iPads or the like. And 20 3x3 capable devices. :)

Sounds like we need to have a hell of a FNL meet-up. :-) Everyone bring a
client for load testing.

I'd still like to hear from everyone on this list what the wireless
capabilities of their primary laptop is. 802.11?, MIMO capabilities,
supported channel widths, etc. It'd be interesting to see what the wireless
demographics are in this group.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die