[aklug] Re: New NETGEAR R6300v2 AC 1750 Router

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 14:04:57 AKDT

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Leif Sawyer wrote:

> Top posting because exchange, and I'm lazy:
>
> Just put up an Asus-AC66R, which is the near equivalent to the netgear of OP.
>
> Testing with my new Galaxy S4, I'm able to pull 100mb/s in either direction, from the ookla speedtest site.
>

> Uh.. yeah, I've got it hooked up to "The Internet" via a 1Gb link, so what?
>
> I also have an draft-AC usb client adapter, but I haven't had the chance to build the drivers for
> it and test it out on my laptop. I'll probably do that in a week or two, once my project schedule
> dies down a bit.
>
> In any case, the multiple radios and multiple antennas make sharing the bandwidth across multiple
> generations of devices a lot nicer than prior generations.
>
> If only they weren't in the 200$ range!

$200 was very fair for my list of requirements. All the cheaper options
seemed to have fatal flaws or severe limitations. I especially love the
number of 3x3 MIMO WAPs out there that theoretically support 450Mbps, but
only have a fast ethernet port out of the WAP. Not sure I understand the
logic on that one.

End sum, my need for multiple SSIDs, and SSID -> VLAN mapping, dual band
radios, etc., I was already in the $100+ range. And now that I've
experienced how reliable and fast commercial kit like Ruckus is, I consider
the $250 I spent to be money well spent. I'll never go back, the difference
is that visible, and that remarkable.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die