[aklug] Re: New NETGEAR R6300v2 AC 1750 Router

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 13:34:21 AKDT

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com> wrote:

> In any case, the multiple radios and multiple antennas make sharing the
> bandwidth across multiple
> generations of devices a lot nicer than prior generations.
>
> If only they weren't in the 200$ range!

I was complaining about the $1000 APs. $200 to me seems reasonable. Will be
interesting to compare, since the strategies are different. (You don't find
Apple, for instance, supporting anything like the manageability of Ruckus.)

For Arthur looking at 3x3 clients, interesting benchmarks:
http://dl.ubnt.com/press/Tolly213122UbiquitiUniFiWirelessAPPerformance.pdf

Couldn't find anything immediately on, say, Apple Airport (the new 802.11ac
'minitower') vs. Ruckus.

From benchmarks I've seen in the past, for instance, the Airports have
performed well when supporting large numbers of Apple devices. (Duh.) I
have a few, but most of my APs are 802.11n Unifi with an average of 20
clients each. No problems so far.

To support what Arthur was saying about Time Machine, I just checked an
iMac. Averaged over a week, it has transferred nearly a terabyte a day,
which seems… wrong. Up+down.

jermudgeon