[aklug] Re: low-power, bare bones Linux-based drive cage

From: Mark Bolzern <Mark@NUSalaska.com>
Date: Thu Jul 18 2013 - 13:35:14 AKDT

Joshua,

You could use a flashed ASUS RT-N16 router (MIPS) under $100 to run one or
more 4TB Seagate usb based backup drives. I do this and have mine flashed
with Tomato. It is also my Router/VPN

Alternatively you could use an ARM based
ODroid<http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/711478-how-to-run-linux-on-odroid-u2-a-monster-of-an-arm-machine>board
(Monster of an ARM machine) running Ubuntu and plug those Seagate USB
drives directly into it. I've done this already using the X2
version<http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135235611947>of
this board.

Take the electronics out of the drives, and mount them in any plastic
boxwith the Odroid using screw posts, give it some bottom to top venting
and it's all in one box too.. and virtually silent.

Cheers

Mark <http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbolzern/>