[aklug] Re: low-power, bare bones Linux-based drive cage

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Fri Jul 19 2013 - 08:33:33 AKDT

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 13:35:14 Mark Bolzern wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> You could use a flashed ASUS RT-N16 router (MIPS) under $100 to run one or
> more 4TB Seagate usb based backup drives. I do this and have mine flashed
> with Tomato. It is also my Router/VPN

Something like that occurred to me. But, a couple niggles:

1) For neatness, I wanted it all in one package, and not have drives and
cables running everywhere.
2) In the past, I have hit data integrity issues running drives over USB, and
much prefer a SATA interface. Maybe that is no longer an issue, but I still
prefer an interface designed for moving bulk data.

> Alternatively you could use an ARM based
> ODroid<http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/711478-how-to-run-linux-on-odroi
> d-u2-a-monster-of-an-arm-machine>board (Monster of an ARM machine) running
> Ubuntu and plug those Seagate USB drives directly into it. I've done this
> already using the X2
> version<http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code
> =G135235611947>of this board.
>
> Take the electronics out of the drives, and mount them in any plastic
> boxwith the Odroid using screw posts, give it some bottom to top venting
> and it's all in one box too.. and virtually silent.

I actually came across the ODroid when I was doing my research. What do you
use as a case? Will it fit three or four drives? I would love a solution like
this, except for one thing: this isn't strictly for me. It will be used in a
business application. So, while I can support it, I need to know from the get-
go that it will all work as planned. If I'm putting it together (and there
are no crystal-clear this-has-worked-here-are-the-steps howtos), then I kind
of have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the pointers and ideas!

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer