[aklug] Re: too quiet...

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Tue Jun 11 2013 - 22:37:50 AKDT

Bob, you lost me - I spend my days transcoding digital AV files. That
said I used to keep up with privacy issues, stopped keeping up with
digital privacy issues, and hope to get up to speed soon. I suppose
securing communications can be complicated but I don't think it has to
be obtuse.

I guess it's kind of obvious that the more folks that encrypt, the more
power that new NSA facility in Utah will have draw. I suspect, at
present, encrypted email is flagged by NSA, and other government
agencies. If everybody, or at least many, started using encryption, I
suspect the "dark side" just wouldn't be able to keep up - not enough
power would be the problem. I suppose in the long haul encryption will
cost me more in taxes ;) -greg

On 6/11/13 10:15 PM, Robert Crowe wrote:

> Now we're talking! I've been tooling around with GNS3 - I am throwing
> my hat down as a more than viable Packet Tracer replacement. I
> stumbled upon it while looking for more screens for Dia - specifically
> to create a network topology.
> I never thought I would say Virtual Box has limitations - and it
> doesn't right up until you need to fine tune the load balancing for 4
> virts across 2 servers. Wonder if vmplayer can do this as good as
> VMware..sigh
>
> And than there's Puppy Linux...
>
> On Jun 11, 2013 10:04 PM, "Greg Schmitz" <greg@amipa.org
> <mailto:greg@amipa.org>> wrote:
>

> Seems like as good a time as any to talk about encryption.
> Anybody using TrueCrypt? How?
>
> I've got TrueCrypt on all of my thumb drives and am considering
> encrypting all of my personal emails again.
>
> --greg
>
> On 6/11/13 9:24 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
>
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Christopher Howard wrote:
>
> AKLUG list has been way too quiet lately. So here's a few
> things I've
> run across lately that I found interesting:
>

> Inconsiderate bastard. Everyone's being quiet so Obama & the
> NSA can catch
> up the latest e-mails. ;-)
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die
> <mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org>>

> <mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org>>

Greg Schmitz
AMIPA - Alaska Moving Image and Preservation Association
v: 907.786.4983
f: 907.786-1834
e: greg@amipa.org
www.amipa.org
The Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to media preservation and education to ensure long-term access to Alaska's moving image heritage.