[aklug] Re: mobile Internet for your PC?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Mar 14 2013 - 20:21:54 AKDT

On 03/14/2013 07:33 PM, Alan wrote:
> I had a GCI/Digitel USB dongle for a few years and it did work with
> Linux. It was a bit of a pain to get going the first time but once it
> was up all was good. A friend had a different model, which worked better
> than mine and had open source drivers. This is a few years ago but it is
> worth checking if you are going to mess with a dongle.
>
> Farrin's suggestion would be the one I would pursue first - get a
> Mifi/dedicated hotspot device or Smartphone with a data plan and turn on
> tethering; I use Android for tethering regularly with good result. Then
> you can place the phone in the best spot to get coverage and share the
> data via Wifi.
>
> These options assume you have cellular coverage. If you don't, Satellite
> is also an option via companies such as Starband (linked by Farrin) and
> Hughes (http://www.hughesnet.com/).
>
> My caution with satellite is that you will get satellite latency, which
> is too much for real-time gaming unless there are no other options and
> you are dedicated (500-750ms RT time for standard satellite services
> depending on technology used)
>
> -Alan
>
> On Mar 14, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Farrin Reid <blakmatrix@gmail.com
> <mailto:blakmatrix@gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I don't have a smart phone. That Mifi
option seems like the way to go in my particular situation (poor college
student.) I'm pretty sure Fairbanks has good cell coverage at the
location (inside Fairbanks, west side, right next to UAF).

Does anyone know, offhand, if those Mifi devices support port
forwarding? It would be nice to be able to SSH in and such like.

--
frigidcode.com