[aklug] Re: mobile Internet for your PC?

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu Mar 14 2013 - 19:32:37 AKDT

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Farrin Reid <blakmatrix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you have a smartphone && ok service? If so you might be able to set up
>> a "personal hotspot" depending on the capabilities of your phone. I
>> recently jailbroke my phone, installed a free hotspot maker app (since
>> can't use the native one unless your on the higher$$$ plans).
>>
>> I knew a guy that couldn't get cable to his place since he lived near
>> chena river on the hill--he got his internet through directTV i believe.
>>
>> You might also check out http://www.starband.com/services/index.html or
>> other satelite internet providers... I don't know if it's still the case
>> but I always found satellite internet shitty on cloudy days -- but that was
>> years ago.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Christopher Howard <
>> christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, I was pondering taking a situation in town (Fairbanks) near
>>> UAF, which overall is a pretty good deal but doesn't come with an
>>> Internet connection or a phone line. (I live about 20 miles outside of
>>> Fairbanks right now.) I seem to remember hearing in the past about some
>>> provider having a service for getting Internet to a wireless device that
>>> plugs into your PC, but I can't remember the details. Is anyone on the
>>> list familiar with anything like that being available in Fairbanks, and
>>> know if it is FOSS-friendly?

ACS had a CDU680 USB device for a while that I used and that worked well,
but I think it's been superseded. It presented to the OS as a serial
modem, so could be used by just about any OS.

There's also the MiFi, which faces wifi towards the end device - basically
a little wifi-to-mobile-broadband gateway, so also usable by anything that
speaks 802.11:

http://www.alaskacommunications.com/Shop/Devices/MiFi-2200-Mobile-Hotspot.aspx

If you already have a smart phone with a data plan, look into USB or
Bluetooth tethering I've gotten both working under the various children
of Debian, and there are howtos.

I'm sure GCI has similar offerings. I'm only speaking from memory wearing
my PREVIOUS_DAYJOB=ACS hat. :-)

Royce

--
Royce Williams