[aklug] Two drupal websites to check out

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 11:28:02 AKST

I've rebuilt two of my websites using drupal. I am an old (in more
ways than one) coder but new to both PHP and drupal. I chose drupal
because it seems to be the most robust of the PHP CMS and has as a
component a command-line utility called drush which is way cool
IMHO.

Because I am new to this, I would welcome two sets of input from
those who might have the time.

1)Test for security. See if you find anything insecure. If you do,
let me know. I have security alerts enabled at the highest level,
and would like to see how they function.

I wish I had a good sandbox set up, but I don't....

I have requested the domain hoster's (hostmonster) helpdesk if they
would be willing to run any code injection tests. Drupal should
properly sanitize any code submitted, but I would rather verify than
trust. Under the terms and conditions of my contract, I must advise
that none of you run a code injection test. If you were to do so, I
wouldn't want to hear about it. I'm willing to risk a temporary
interruption in service. I would rather be expecting it now, than
have something happen down the road.

And as many of you sysadmins would be quick to mention, looking good
now doesn't mean looking good down the road sometime. The black
hats are always on the prowl...

2)For you drupalers on this list - I would welcome your advice on
how to speed up load time. They are ssllooww. I have done nothing to
speed up performance, because I found so many options. So I hope
that whoever built the Alaska Dispatch site might let me know what
performances options were used there.

The two sites are
http://lb.tj49.com.
There I write articles. They sort of combine the personal with the
historical with the technical aspect. The first three are about
family. Don't feel unwelcome. The last two are my mini-histories
(for the layman) of computer technology development from WWII
forward. They are 1 and 2 of a series of 4. The last of which will
outline some of my (and others) concerns about cyber attacks.

And
http://www.akwebsoft.com/akw
That is my biz site. Some of you might find interesting the 'Tools'
and 'External Sources' tabs. There is extensive documentation on my
own framework as well as demonstrations of how I integrate my
framework with drupal.

cheers

--
Tim