[aklug] Re: e-mail scripting

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2013 - 08:23:07 AKST

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> * Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [121231 17:09]:
> > Is there anyone else on the list who plays around with scripted
> > management / filtering / manipulation of incoming e-mail (i.e., as a
> > client, not server-side stuff)? If so what tools do you use? (E.g., what
> > e-mail client do you use? How do you pass e-mails to your scripts? What
> > languages / utilities do you use?)
>
> I don't follow exactly what you are up to here, but having set up
> things like submissions to databases via email, I suppose those
> methods could be better leveraged by apps like mutt, pine, and
> alpine which are designed for shell access.
> MTCW
>
> > Lately I've been in an "automate or die" mood and I've been trying to
> > apply that mentality to my incoming e-mail. For example, every week I
> > usually get church bulletin documents e-mail to me, so I manually
> > convert them to PDF, and upload them to the church Web site. But now I'm
> > trying to automate that.

Thinking further on this ... if someone is mailing the documents to you,
couldn't you instead provide them with a web interface that converts and
publishes the files directly?

In other words: why shoehorn the workflow into email, only to pull it out
again? Skip the middle man. Use the richer set of tools available, instead
of being constrained by only the things that email can do.

I think I'm up to $0.08 now. And no, just because the notation is decimal,
squaring cents doesn't diminish their number. ;-)

Royce