[aklug] Re: Windows 8 + ubuntu

From: Jiin Jade <jiin@vitalsols.com>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 17:21:06 AKST

I just accidentally bought an HP 2000 Notebook with Windows 8. I spent over
20 hours trying to get Ubuntu 11.10 to boot and finally gave up. This
included disabling "Secure boot" and UEFI. Reverting to "Legacy mode", etc.
Lets just say if OEM HP is going to screw me on the end user side I will
never buy their servers on the enterprise side! Feel free to give them an
earful, and post in as many forums as you care too.

Anyhow, the most recent version of Ubuntu(12.10) was able to install and
boot. I understand Ubuntu and Fedora bought keys from micro$oft so they
could boot their distro. Microsoft has become the "UEFI Certificate
Authority" so to speak for all UEFI/Windows 8 machines. I really think M$
totally screwed themselves on this one. I will NEVER buy any M$ installed
system every again. It just drives my money directly to OEM's supporting
Linux and away from the HP's of the world who are willing compromise end
user freedom.

echo EOF > /rant

Here are some links explaining the current state of affairs as I understand
them:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/microsoft-to-stop-linux-older-windows-from-running-on-windows-8-pcs/9589
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI