[aklug] Re: Windows 8 + ubuntu

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 20:40:36 AKST

On 12/28/2012 05:21 PM, Jiin Jade wrote:

> Anyhow, the most recent version of Ubuntu(12.10) was able to install and
> boot. I understand Ubuntu and Fedora bought keys from micro$oft so they
> could boot their distro. Microsoft has become the "UEFI Certificate
> Authority" so to speak for all UEFI/Windows 8 machines. I really think
> M$ totally screwed themselves on this one. I will NEVER buy any M$
> installed system every again. It just drives my money directly to OEM's
> supporting Linux and away from the HP's of the world who are willing
> compromise end user freedom.

Have you played around yet with the key loading/management interface in
the UEFI? What is it like? How hard or easy it is to work with? What key
format does it require?

For those of us who have been following the whole secure boot thing, the
issue of the key management interface has been an open question.
Apparently interface (or even key loading format) is not specified in
the UEFI standard, so manufacturers are free to make it as nice or as
miserable as they wish.

--
frigidcode.com