[aklug] Re: Windows 8 + ubuntu

From: Dan Wolf <dan-wolf@gci.net>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 16:49:45 AKST

Good question even if the potential for flaming is high.....never the less,
IMHO...... Rather than a dual boot solution which could be problematic and
frustrating from the start taking into account UEFI and Windows 8, I would
suggest instead you purchase either a pre-loaded Linux Laptop (from your
email she appears to dislike Windows 8) there are several outfits who do
that (Google is your friend) and provide adequate recovery/restore disks,
thus reducing the prospect of borking two operating systems. Or a better
solution, which has worked for me for a number of years, is to purchase a
laptop with Windows 8 that has enough horsepower to run a Virtualization
solution, allowing you to run whatever flavor of Linux you wish without
nearly the hassle. I personally have been running an ASUS G72X with Win 7
and VMWare workstation and numerous distros for several years now. Although
the Core Duo is a bit light when I have to run several VMs the current
generation of Intel Core iX machines with plenty of memory and sufficient
storage ( I have an SSD and a 2nd Hdd) would be satisfactory for the
majority of purposes. Also by using a virtual solution you have access to
both systems rather than boot one or the other.

As always YMMV...... good luck!

And Happy New Year
Dan