[aklug] Re: Wife's hard drive is failing

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2012 - 08:15:09 AKST

I didn't yank the drive and put it into something else to query the
SMART. I used the diagnostic tools in the BIOS firmware to do this.
The only other box in the house that could be used to query the SMART
is my server, and it would be a small project to heave it out of its
hidey-hole and hook it up to a regular interface. Not an impossible
task, just an inconvenience.

I have a 1TB WD Caviar Black that should arrive on my doorstep in the
next few days. I'll drop it in and start with the RaidXpert software.
It seems unlikely, but I'll accept the possibility that the drive is
actually good and something else is the problem.