[aklug] Re: Wife's hard drive is failing

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 13 2012 - 21:13:32 AKST

Are we certain it's the hard drive that's failing?

I think I'd be tempted to put the drive in another, know working, box and query the Smart Drive stuff from there first. Just saying...

Then again, maybe you already did this and I missed it.

Jim G

David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried doing some troubleshooting of the drive from the BIOS
>utilities, which allow me to directly query the drive's SMART
>do-hickey, but I don't get very far because it throws an error almost
>immediately.
>
>I have a WD Caviar Black on the way from Amazon. WD has a free
>download of Acronis TrueImage, which I think will be my first option.
>At this moment, the drive still boots fine and operates fine UNTIL the
>computer goes into sleep mode. At that point, the drive doesn't wake
>up properly and after a hard reboot the AMD RaidX software will
>proclaim the SMART error. So the odds look very good for me to be able
>to run TrueImage to mirror the drive, and then swap it out entirely.
>In which case, problem solved. For now.
>
>I'm thinking about doubling down on this and getting a second WD
>Caviar Black to RAID together.
>
>I'm thinking that if I'm trying to run something like "Recover Keys"
>it will be because I cannot boot this drive, cannot mirror this drive,
>but I can still use it as a slave. In which case I'm no longer worried
>about recovering keys, only recovering her data. But the option still
>needs to be on the table. Didn't know about the "Recover Keys"
>program. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
>
>Maybe I can use this problem as leverage to shift her over to linux.
>Or at least get her to save all her camera dumps to the server instead
>of to folders on the desktop.
>---------

Jim Gribbin
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.